Here’s a not-so-fun fact: hundreds of millions of oil filters end up in the landfills each year.
In 2019, about 768 million oil filters went to the landfills. To put this into perspective:
- This created 384,000 tons of waste (about the same weight as 128,000 African elephants).
- All these oil filters stacked on top of each other would be 220,690 times as high as the Sears/Willis tower.
- When arranged in rows, all these oil filters would cover 1,102 acres.
That’s a whole lot of oil filters! That alarming number keeps growing every year. American roads get 6 million more cars each year. That’s an extra 16.2 million oil filters going to the landfills each year. If this keeps up, we would end up with more discarded oil filters than trees on earth.
Discarded Oil Filters Are Terrible For The Environment
Discarded oil filters are one of Mother Nature’s worst enemies because:
- Oil filters contain materials that can take hundreds of years to decompose:
- Synthetic fibers
- Microscopic cellulose fibers
- The residual oil in discarded oil filters can seep into the soil and contaminate the local water supply
- Only one gallon of used motor oil can contaminate up to one million gallons of water
The Average Driver Uses Up 2 Or 3 Oil Filters Every Year
2 and 3 are tiny numbers compared to 768,000,000. Yet, it’s important because the average driver still contributes to oil filter waste.
That number adds up. Over a driver’s lifetime, they would use up about 180 oil filters. Let’s say there’s one ounce of residual oil left in each oil filter you throw out. When you add that up, you would have sent at least 1 gallon of used motor oil to the landfill over your lifetime. That could contaminate up to one million gallons of water. Factor in the fact that over 7 billion people are walking the earth and in many parts of the world, there are water shortages. It’s clear that we need to keep our water as clean as possible.
There’s Something You Can Do About This!
Contrary to popular belief, disposable oil filters are not a necessary evil. You can avoid them altogether! All you need to do is to switch to a lifetime oil filter. That’s right. Lifetime oil filters exist!
A quality lifetime oil filter is made out of sturdy metal and will last longer than your vehicle . You can use it over and over again over the lifetime of your car or truck. It’s Mother Nature’s dream come true! If people switched to lifetime oil filters, we would be making huge strides toward a greener earth.
Get A PurePower! Lifetime Oil Filter
PurePower! is a leading brand for lifetime oil filters. We build our oil filters with the best materials available. They’re made to last a lifetime (or two, or three….).