Do you have an F-150? You may want to invest in a reusable oil filter. Having a reusable oil filter on your truck brings many benefits. For instance, a reusable oil filter keeps your oil cleaner than a disposable oil filter does.
If you’re interested in upgrading to a reusable oil filter, you’ll get all the information you need about reusable oil filters in this guide. We rounded up the most frequently asked questions we get about reusable oil filters:
What Is A Reusable Oil Filter?
A reusable oil filter is a lifetime oil filter that should last the lifetime of the truck. A high quality reusable oil filter is built with durable metal. For example, all PurePower! lifetime oil filters are made with the following materials:
- CNC machined 6061T-6 aluminum canister
- Double-woven 304 stainless steel filter media
- Neodymium rare earth magnets
- Stainless steel bypass valve and spring
- Viton® O-rings
When you change the oil in your F-150, you don’t need to throw out your reusable oil filter. Instead, you just clean it out and then put it back in your truck.
Why Are Reusable Oil Filters Good For F-150 Trucks?
A reusable oil filter is a great upgrade from a disposable oil filter. There are many different issues with disposable oil filters. The most common ones are:
- Disposable oil filters are terrible for the environment
- Disposable oil filters can clog up well before the next oil change (and deprive the engine of clean oil)
- Disposable oil filters are made with loose tolerances, so they don’t always perform well
- Many disposable oil filters come with unreliable bypass valves
- The paper filter media in disposable oil filters can tear off and clog up oil passageways
In an nutshell, disposable oil filters are made to be thrown away. So the construction isn’t always reliable. The oil filter plays a big role in maintaining the health of your engine, so you want something reliable. That’s where reusable oil filters come in. Reusable oil filters are built much, much better than disposable oil filters. They solve all the problems disposable oil filters have.
- Reusable oil filters are great for the environment.
- You won’t be sending hundreds of oil filters to the landfill.
- High quality reusable oil filters will last the lifetime of the vehicle (as long as they’re maintained well).
- Reusable oil filters have a higher burst strength.
- Reusable oil filters can withstand higher temperatures than disposable oil filters.
- Some reusable oil filters (like PurePower! oil filters) have a higher maximum flow rate.
- Some reusable oil filters come with magnets.
- It’s easier to see what’s in your oil with a reusable oil filter.
A reusable oil filter is a great upgrade, but especially for F-150 trucks. F-150 trucks are known for having oil filter issues and other oil issues that can wreck the engine. Here are a few examples:
- The oil filter adapter gasket on many 2007 Ford F-150 trucks is prone to leaks.
- Some 2018-2020 Ford F-150 trucks exhibit excessive oil consumption.
- The oil pan in 1996 Ford F-150 5.0 engines is prone to leaks.
When your truck has oil issues, it most likely is losing oil. A quality reusable oil filter will help with that. It won’t clog up and deprive the engine of even more oil.
Is It Easy To Install And Clean A Reusable Oil Filter?
It depends on the reusable oil filter brand you use. Even though PurePower! lifetime oil filters are very technologically advanced, they’re quite easy to install. You’ll get a detailed set of installation instructions with your PurePower! oil filter. To sum it up, you can install it like a disposable oil filter. The only difference is you should partially fill it up with clean oil first.
It’s also easy to clean a reusable oil filter. For example, with PurePower! oil filters, all you need to do is:
- Remove and disassemble the filter
- Visually inspect each component of the filter
- Remove any metallic particles from the magnets
- Rinse all the components in PurePower!’s ECO-Shower or, if not available, hot, soapy water
- Be sure to rinse the filter element from the inside out
- Dry all components with compressed air
- Visually inspect each component for cleanliness
- Reassemble. If you have an oil filter, use clean motor oil on threads during reassembly.
What’s A Good Reusable Oil Filter Brand?
PurePower!, of course! PurePower! is a leading brand for reusable oil filters. It’s because:
- PurePower! oil filters are built with high quality materials
- PurePower! oil filters come with magnets
- PurePower! oil filters are warrantied for life