A common cost-saving trick with air filters is to blow them out and then reuse them. (Doing this can actually damage the air filter media and compromise its ability to do the job, so we don’t recommend doing that). You may be wondering if you can do something similar with an oil filter.
If you’re here, you may be asking, “Can I reuse a disposable oil filter?”
The answer? Definitely not. In fact, you really, really, really don’t want to reuse a disposable oil filter.
Disposable Oil Filters Can’t Last More Than One Oil Change
Disposable oil filters are not designed to last for more than one oil change. Almost all disposable oil filters will get clogged before they make it to the second change. They’re meant to be used only once. Reusing a disposable oil filter from the previous oil change may cause a lot of damage.
What Happens When You Try To Reuse A Disposable Oil Filter?
What happens if you dump out the old oil and then try to reuse the filter? For starters, your engine may get damaged. It’s because your new oil will act as a solvent. It will dissolve all the “gunk” the old oil filter caught and then recirculate at least some of it in your engine.
We cannot stress it enough: your engine needs clean oil. So many different engine parts need lubrication. The engine is full of small passageways. If you run dirty oil through the engine:
- Some engine parts won’t get enough lubrication
- The small passageways can get clogged up
- Your engine’s fuel economy drops
Poor lubrication leads to overheating and damaged parts. In other words, you may have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for repairs.
Washing the gunk out of your old oil filter won’t do the trick. If you do that, you’d be damaging the filter media. This will render the filter unable to do its job. The paper filter media may even tear off and contaminate the engine.
To keep your engine as healthy as possible, either:
- Use a new disposable oil filter (but proceed with caution)
- Use a high quality reusable oil filter
Reusable Oil Filters Exist
If you’re wary of using disposable oil filters, we have good news. Reusable oil filters exist! A high quality reusable oil filter:
- Is built with OEM dimensions in mind
- Comes with fine stainless steel mesh that acts as a very effective filter media
- Comes with magnets that trap any metal particles in the oil
- Uses a high quality housing and components
PurePower! lifetime oil filters fit the bill. PurePower! oil filters come with:
- Double-woven 304 stainless steel filter media
- Neodymium rare earth magnets
- Stainless steel bypass valve and spring
- CNC machined 6061T-6 aluminum canister
- Viton O-rings.
PurePower! oil filters are also warrantied for life. You really can’t go wrong with one. It’ll be one of the best investments you’ll make for your vehicle.